I love the Elf on the Shelf ideas. I should rephrase that I like him and my son loves him! Our elf is officially Elfie Elf Pierson. He’s been in our family since 2012 and my son adores him all year round. We have the elf Movie, a plush elf, he’s asked to have the elf visit for his birthday…He just loves the magic of the elf. He gets up looking for Elfie each day and now my youngest is in on the action too. We don’t put a ton of stock in the “Santa’s watching” aspect of it but it’s more of a game for us.
Those mornings when I’m running late, I need a quick idea for the Elf to do without a whole lot of effort on my part. Hence my list. I use these to keep on hand for backup in case of a tired mother. Here are some of the more common ideas that I’ve seen in practice:
- Sweetlover Elf has drunk syrup. I think I did this the first day we had our Elf.
- Sweetlover Elf has also snuck into the Halloween candy. Not cool, Elf!
- Party Animal Elf has TPed the Christmas tree. My son did not like this one.
- Traffic Cop Elf directs the traffic. I just left down some toy car tracks and put up a sign.
- MacGuvyer Elf has rappelled down from our attic on tinsel garland.
- Vacation Elf ziplines through our house on Christmas lights.
- Social Elf has hosted a Candyland game night for our toys.
- Decorator Elf has brought joy to the house by putting dollar store decorations up. One year I was lucky enough to find gold reindeer, so I just taped these onto the wall.
- Family Elf has printed off his picture and added himself to the family photo gallery on the wall. It actually was as simple as taking a picture and printing it.
- Winter Elf has hosted snowball fights (cotton balls) in our living room. He was on one side of the pillows and another Christmas stuffed animal was on the other side. I couldn’t tell who won!
- Winter Elf has also made snow angels in my kitchen.
- Gifting Elf has brought a note with money asking my son to do something nice for someone else.
- Thrillseeker Elf has went for a spin on my stand mixer. I just put it on very low right before my son woke up.
- Photographer Elf has used my digital camera to take pictures of himself. We discovered him holding the camera and when we looked at the camera, we saw all sorts of things he was doing!
- Movie Elf has hosted a movie night for our Christmas toys. He used the leftover popcorn we had and set up everyone in front of the TV watching what else, An Elf Story!
- Social Media Elf has been busy on my computer. He even opened his own FaceBook account and we saw him there posting one morning.
- Timekeeper Elf has reset the time on clocks in our house, getting us up even on a Saturday morning.
- Joker Elf has taped our front door closed so we had to untape the door. He picked up some Christmas themed tape and just taped the door closed. Too bad he was caught in the tape himself!
- Decorator Elf has also brought snowflake lights to our house. He just put them up on the windows as a special treat for my boys.
- Bus Driver Elf has taken friends for drives all over the house. We just loaded the Little People onto their bus and the elf has been kind enough to be the driver.
These are my top 20 quick ideas. I have a few more elaborate ones but I haven’t had a chance to try them out yet. I figure I have a few weeks left. Are you doing Elf on the Shelf? If so, tell me what your favorite ideas are for the elf. I’m always collecting new ones to share. I even started a Pinterest board full of easy ideas. You can follow it by clicking here.