I was invited to join the Extra Yard for Teachers Summit Bloggers Team. The 2018 Extra Yard for Teachers Summit and Lounge are among the College Football Playoff (CFP) Foundation’s signature philanthropic events to celebrate and champion teachers during the National Championship weekend. This post was inspired by my participation in their events. Here is a full listing of the fan events.
When we decided to homeschool last year, I wasn’t sure what I was getting into. Honestly, I’m still not and I seriously hope/pray/wish/dream that I’m making the right decisions daily.
One of the interesting things is that I work that balance between being a teacher and a mom. It wasn’t until just this year that I realized I’m spending more time being a teacher than just the mom. I’m always trying to get in those learning extra yard. For teachers, I feel like it goes without saying that it’s one of things you never stop thinking about. I posted on Facebook one day and a friend reminded me that this is what teaching is about.
The Wins of Being a Homeschool Family
There are some awesome days when I get these wins that remind me that they ARE learning and they’re doing an awesome job growing into the men who I hope they’ll be. Some of my favorites:
- We were talking about going to see volcanoes in Guatemala. My oldest said that he wants to see the lava. My younger one told his brother, “You can’t get too close to the magma; it’ll burn you.” – Wait, so my kindergartner knows and uses the word MAGMA in the correct context. (I know he was a little off but still MAGMA!)
- On a farmer tour, the farmer was explaining the process of decomposition and my oldest said, “Yep, the FBI.” The farmer and I both looked at each other before he explained “Fungus, Bacteria and Insects.” The farmer said, “That’s right; I’ve never heard it that way. I’m going to use it.” I forgot it when learned it along with him but he’s the science lover and I hope he’ll remember it lifelong.
- When my oldest teaches his brother all about even/odd numbers.
Those days When I Just Need to Get on the Board
On the other hand, there are days when I feel like I’m losing horribly. I’ll be honest and share a few of those too.
- I realized that my youngest didn’t know the months of the year. I just was confident that the same kid who knows magma, knows the months of the year. We even do a daily calendar exercise so I just guess we hadn’t gotten to the spring yet for him to know.
- Pretty much anytime when I’ve bitten off more than I can do with work and my focus isn’t on being a homeschooling mom. My husband isn’t a very hands on homeschooling dad, so it’s all me and if I’m not there, my kids are watching more YouTube than I would like.
The 2018 Extra Yard for Teachers Summit
The best thing about my homeschool journey is that I have tons of friends, both classroom teachers and homeschool teachers, I can share my concerns with along the way. We inspire and remind each other that we’re really only in the first-quarter of their lives, so there’s plenty of time to recover from any fumbles. Even still we sometimes need a little extra inspiration.
The College Football Playoff Foundation is bringing some delightful speakers in to give us the half-time pep talk and we can keep moving things forward to close out the year with WINS! The 2018 Extra Yard for Teachers Summit will engage and inspire every one there.
The Extra Yard for Teachers Lounge
In addition to the Summit, there’s also the Lounge where teachers and their families can participate in hands-on workshops, get advice on STEAM and STEM projects, and even an whole Zen Room with self-care stations that we can take back to share in our classrooms.
The Lounge is going to be open all day on Saturday, January 6 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. It’s FREE for teachers. However, they do ask that you sign up in advance because of security protocols. Just register at this link. I can’t wait to see you there!
Here’s the full schedule:
Chair Yoga, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
Chair Massages all day!
Mmmm, fresh-baked cookies! 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Social Hour cash bar 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Chick-fil-A sandwiches—get ‘em while they’re hot. 11:45 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.
Warm, soft pretzels 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
$500 DonorsChoose.org Gift Card Drawing! (10:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 p.m., 12:30 p.m., 1 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.)
Classroom Makeover Giveaway! 11:30 a.m. & 5 p.m.
Catch the 2018 Extra Yard for Teachers Summit, live streamed from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
STEP (the movie) 11 a.m. & 4 p.m.
Talks from the Summit and TED Archives 10 a.m. & 12:30 p.m.
The 21st Century Safe School Workshop Room
Presented by School Specialty Inc.
*Arrive early to sign up for the workshops on site! Space is limited, and first-come, first-served.
The TED Idea Accelerator for Educators 10:15 a.m.
Stress Management, Burnout Prevention, and Self Care 12 p.m. & 4:15 p.m.
Developing Early Literacy through Active Learning Experiences 1 p.m.